The Irish Cultural Society is a group of your friends and neighbors who want to know more about their Irish heritage. The group, non-political by its charter, endeavors to bring together people with the common goal of learning about our roots and supporting Irish culture and study.
Annual Writing Contest - Another Fantastic Year!
Our popular Annual Writing Contest just recently concluded, with Maggie Rogers of Sacred Heart Academy garnering the top honors. This year, contestants were asked to develop a creative dialogue between the two characters in James Joyce's short story A Painful Case. The contest attracted 425 students from 24 different high schools, mentored by 34 teachers! The winners of the contest were honored at the May 2014 meeting. Our top prize winners are listed below - click on the links below to read their winning essays.
2014 Contest Winners (Click here for complete list of winners)
- 1st Prize: Maggie Rogers, Sacred Heart Academy - (Maggie's essay)
- 2nd Prize: Mary Cervantes, Douglas MacArthur High School - (Mary's essay)
- 2nd Prize: Kathryn Veron, H. Frank Carey High School - (Kathryn's essay)
- 2nd Prize: Joseph White, Island Trees High School - (Joseph's essay)
- 3rd Prize: Hannah Artura, Island Trees High School - (Hannah's essay)
- 3rd Prize: Kate Shanley, Manhasset High School - ( Kate's essay )
- Contest Details
- Helpful Hints
- A Painful Case by James Joyce
Our latest addition to the archives is "The Ogham Alphabet", written by John Walsh.
Members receive our newsletter, the Hedgemaster, four times a year. The Hedgemaster announces meetings, theater trips, and other news of interest to people interested in matters Irish, and contains an article of about 1000 words on a topic from Irish history or culture. The Book of Kells, the Wild Geese, the Apprentice Boys, the Travelling People, the Brehon Laws, and the Potato Famine are among the many subjects of articles in the Hedgemaster. Please visit our Hedgemaster Archives to sample past articles.
Irish Cultural Society
P.O. Box 247
Garden City, NY 11530